Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sigh No More

Greetings Earthlings, I feel myself gradually falling behind with this here blog of mine, so I have decided to pick up the pace once again and since my last entry, there have been some interesting developments in my career (or lack thereof) and indeed my personal life.
First of all, word from Cannes was that "Lying Next To Larry" received several positive reviews. So that is good news. I'm not sure exactly what I expect to come from the whole thing, probably nothing directly I imagine, but it is certainly good to have on the old curriculum vitae and the whole experience has been nothing but positive.


Secondly, I went to my first "screening" last night (of something featuring me anyway) for "Speak Now". It was quite a thrill seeing myself on the big screen for the first time. Unfortunately though I could not get over the fact that I looked like a f**king swamp donkey in just about every shot. It really is awful seeing your own face blown up to that size! However, the good news was that we got some good laughs from the crowd and the footage will be great for my reel. Not many better feelings than hearing a room full of people appreciate a movie you're in.

Thirdly, I did another student film a while back and I have STILL not received a copy of my work, which was promised to me. This apparently is quite a common problem among ground level actors and honestly I find it somewhat despicable. No accounting for poor taste among fellow humans though, eh? Apparently there is a draft letter that exists for you to get them to sign and make everything legal. That might be something to keep in mind should you ever do a student film. Personally, I'm thinking the threat of ultraviolence might be the only answer to my own problem at this point...little pr*ck!

Finally, I have also written a short film, which I intend to film this month and I cannot wait to see how it turns out as I'm happy with the script and I'm going to have a fantastic crew of people on board. Watch this space, folks.

In personal news, I went to see my favourite new band on Friday night - the mighty Mumford & Sons. While I expected them to be good, I did not remotely prepare for what I saw. They were brilliant! It is an absolute joy to watch a group of passionate lads singing their hearts out and being humble enough to appreciate their situation at the same time. The highlight came when, after several crowd requests, the boys decided to try an acapella version of "Winter Winds" (a song they don't usually do on tour), stepping forward and singing and playing with no microphones. It was magic. Luckily I caught the moment on film:



Now, what made this night even more remarkable was the fact that a good friend of mine actually KNOWS the band, so I got to go backstage and meet them. It was pathetic. I was honestly carrying myself with all the dignity of a lovesick schoolboy. However, they were absolutely lovely chaps and it was a pleasure meeting them. I also met a certain persian prince, which was nice.

Saw "Get Him To The Greek" the other day. Although there were some pretty funny moments, all in all I was left a bit flat. However I always get inspired by seeing Russell Brand doing well for himself out here. After reading his "Booky Wook" it amazed me how similar mine and his upbringings were (apart from the Heroin addiction of course), and being both Essex boys, his success always sort of makes me feel like it's not all impossible, ya know?

So all in all it's been a good few days really. If someone could just give me a job now, life would be perfect.

Salutations,

John.

P.S - Still reading "Manufacturing Consent" by Chomsky...I highly recommend it. It's like getting unplugged from the Matrix.


No comments: