Friday, June 25, 2010

A Metaphor

As I sit writing this I'm looking out of my window at the Korean daycare centre across the road. There is a boy stood at the end of the playground closest to me. At the other end of the playground is a basketball hoop. The boy's challenge, so it would seem, is to let his basketball bounce once and punt it, with his foot - and I must stress that he is at least 30 yards away - into the hoop. So, upon watching this my obvious reaction was "oh yeah mate, that's going to happen". Yet still he stands there kicking, missing, retrieving and trying again in the vain hope of success. And despite having yet to succeed, he is still running around with all the enthusiasm of a new born lamb. So I suppose for this young chap the challenge itself is half the fun.

And what a feeling it would be if it went in.

No comments: