Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Latest Scoop

It's been a while since my last update and plenty has been going on since then in the wonderful (see: marginally shite) land of Los Angeles.


I finally landed myself a semi-regular job, working for a catering firm. My first shift being at a ridiculously swanky country club on Santa Monica Beach. As I stood there, holding a bottle of wine which no-one on my table wanted, watching the sun go down behind the rolling hills of Malibu I couldn't help but think that there are definitely worse ways to make a living. Plus it feels very good to have some money coming in...I was getting greyer by the second!

I also landed my first paid acting job, which let me tell you is a great feeling. The job itself involved getting up at 4:30AM (!!!) and being on set for 5:30 for a shoot at...dun dun dun...the Church of Scientology. Yes, the massive blue one on Sunset Blvd. Now, while I am not at liberty to discuss my day there, not until my cheque clears anyway, let's just say "No comment" for the time being. I will however refer you to an episode of South Park called "Trapped in the Closet", and that's all I'm saying about that. More to follow.


After shooting "Speak Now" last weekend I was glad to hear that the sound for several scenes didn't come out as planned, thus I had to head to a recording studio (The Robert DeNiro suite to be exact - which really just consisted of a giant poster of Taxi Driver and a screensaver of the man himself) to do some ADR, as they say in the Biz. It was most fun. I think on some level I've always been drawn to the allure of a studio. Every time I'm on youtube I invariably end up watching my favourite musicians in the studio and it always looks like the most fun thing ever. Apart from, of course, Metallica's "Some Kind Of Monster" which looked about as much fun as a lobotomy. I have to say though that the process of re-recording your dialogue exactly as you had already said it on the day is a slightly odd experience. Especially hearing it played back on surround sound. With that said, it was still amazing.

In further news. I found out today that Wasted got rejected by the BBC. Not the biggest surprise I've ever had and now we're free to hit up every production company in London, and LA for that matter. Onwards and Upwards my friends.

I also finished reading my first play last night - Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead" by Tom Stobbard. I almost did a scene from it in my acting class...thank god I didn't. It is bloody difficult material. However, it is utterly brilliant and I've decided that I have to be in a production of it before I pop me clogs. Most of my goals in life are propelled by an intense fear of death, it seems.

So that brings us just about up to speed, and here's a great song to mark the occassion:


Salute,

John.


No comments: