Sunday, June 27, 2010

Things I Love: Withnail and I

This week I finally got round to watching this cult classic. I wasn't really too excited by it's arrival (from Netflix) but one bored night I decided to give it a whirl. To my delight, I spent the next two hours absolutely pissing myself laughing - so much so that I immediately (the next night) watched it again. In fact I still haven't sent it back. The dialogue is some of the best I've ever seen in a film and taps into a certain delirious, eccentric British rhythm that is sorely lacking from our film industry these days. The characters, from Uncle Monty to The Poacher to the almighty Danny, are amazing. The performances from every actor in this film are outstanding, but Richard E. Grant's turn as Withnail is one of the best I've ever seen. Even more remarkable when you consider it was his first film and the fact that he is a teetotal non-smoker.
The entire film is pretty much a memorable quote fest, but my favourite (for now, at least) comes from Danny the Drug Dealer:
"If I medicined you, you'd think a brain tumor was a birthday present"

I advise everyone to go and watch this film...with immediate effect.

No comments: