Monday, February 22, 2010

Bombs Away!


This evening I went to the Open Mic at The Comedy Store, as in the world famous one. My set went down like a lead balloon! I believe the term used in this country is "bombing" and I have been constantly told is something that all comedians have to go through. In my brief comedy career I had yet to bomb until tonight. Firstly, there really is no sound quite like a room full of silence. Secondly, I found it to be quite a liberating experience. In all honesty though the standard of comedy was such that if I did get any laughs, I would have been doing something deeply, deeply wrong. The lowest of a series of dour, low points coming when an obnoxious, pissed-out-of-her-miniscule-brain, girl performed fellatio on the microphone, then threw beer on her face. Real high-brow stuff, you know?

This was then followed by a crackhead - an actual stink-of-piss, scuttling around like a dead-eyed zombie, CRACKHEAD - coming up to me, giving me a fist bump and declaring "I'm on drugs. I'm trippin' real bad" inside the club!

I'd seen enough. I ran for the hills before any more brain cells could die a horrible death. Odd place, that Comedy Store. Maybe I just caught them on an off-night.

In the words of Don Corleone...I'm off to give myself an offer I can't refuse.

Night,

JB.

2 comments:

MJ said...

JB stay away from the comedy store, that is where the weirdo's go. Go to the laugh factory, they actually have agents show up to the shows and they are at a higher intellect and will probably get your humor. Also, the improv is good. Glad to read you are out there going after it. Best of luck to you.

John Byford said...

Thank you very much sir. I will most certainly do that!