Friday, February 26, 2010

"It's Just A Ride"


Wise words from a very, very wise man. Today is the anniversary of the passing of Mr. William Melvin Hicks. Bill Hicks to you and I.

I had always been a fan of Bill's work but it wasn't until I recently read the book "Love All The People" that his legend crystalised in my mind. The book consists of numerous transcripts of his performances along with letters, essays and interviews by and with the great man. It seemed that with every page turned I learnt something new about his character and the thing that hit me most was how similar it was to mine. Now I do realise that upon writing that last sentence I may sound a little egotistical, but what I mean is that it is most comforting to know that someone else out there finds it all as confusing, absurd and ultimately interesting as yourself. Not only that but this someone happens to explore it all within the realms of comedy, a subject that has been a deep passion of mine since as far back as I can remember. In short, 16 years ago the world lost a great man. A brave, idealistic man. An unflinchingly honest and hilarious man. The last of a dying breed. If you need further proof, check out this link:

Bill Hicks Quotes

Or better yet, and being that my words can't remotely do him justice, watch this video:



Also...I heard today that there's a movie about him in the works, scripted by Ron Howard and starring Russell Crowe??? Friends, this must be stopped at all costs! I'm not even joking, stock up on flame throwers, guns, rocks...anything, and we will meet in the Hollywood Hills to have a little word with Ritchie Cunningham and put a stop to this madness right now!

In news about myself, I went on a couple of auditions yesterday which went really well. The first was for a student project, the second a gangster movie. I found out today that I got the part for the first one, which is really rather good news. For the second I'm not confident as every other bloke there was built like a brick shithouse and looked like potential murders / villains. However I am very pleased with my audition as I went in with the mindset of creeping everyone in the room out and succeeded splendidly. It's all about the little victories in life.

Finishing up "Wasted" tonight and onwards and upwards from there.

Big up!

JB

P.S - R.I.P Mr. Geoff Higgs...a true gent.

1 comment:

Amanda Blair said...

I'm happy to hear you're out kicking ass in LA!