Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Oscars

For the first time in years I was unable to watch The Academy Awards. This would be due to the fact that I am currently too poor to afford Cable TV. However I just looked up the results. It always seems that the film/star I want to win, never does (save No Country For Old Men). I admit The Hurt Locker was a good flick, but Avatar was absolutely incredible. I'm starting to wonder whether these people know what they're talking about. After all, they did snub Star Wars. I also wanted Cary Mulligan to win but that's probably just because I fancy her.

So, in honour of tonight, I have decided to compile a list of the best films to be nominated for, but not win, Best Picture:

1 - Jaws (1975)
2 - Star Wars (1977)
3 - Apocalypse Now (1979)
4 - Raging Bull (1980)
5 - Goodfellas (1990)
6 - The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
7 - Pulp Fiction (1994)
8 - Fargo (1996)
9 - Good Will Hunting (1997)
10 - Lord of the Rings (2001)

After writing this list. It's clear that the Academy are idiots.

Goodnight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

reading through your blog PROPERLY and loving it..

I have decided to pass comment on your list

1) for its time.. amazing and in my top 5 fav movies.. how didn't it win...

2) again amazing.... why no win...
3) ridiculous, bemused to why it didn't win
4) are you serious?? what won instead??
5) can see why I suppose.. even though its one of the greats...
6) same as answer to no.4...
7) ditto
8) actually not seen this movie and I have it sky +'d.. slacker
9) mmmmaaaaatttt ddddaaammmmooonnn... ben affleck... explains why.
10) really? it did win something though??

John Byford said...

Mate, I'll honour your comments with some answers

1) Scared the shit out of me and still does. Classic!
2) That's my point mate...shite!
3) Dunno. Gave it to Kramer vs Kramer
4) Went to Ordinary People...which I've never heard of "Raging Bull" is in my top three of all time!
5) Bit violent probably.
6) This was the biggest one I couldn't believe.
7) Three words: Arse Rape Scene
8) Twat!
9) Fair point. Well made.
10) Just won special effects shit I think. Weak.

Anonymous said...

Response to your answers...

3)kramer vs kramer is a brilliant movie...
5) agreed
7) true...
8) yes I am
9) thank you