Friday, March 5, 2010

Good For The Wallet, Good For The Soul?

Why does it always seem to be a choice of one or the other? Good for the wallet - get a steady job, pay your bills, don't cause a fuss, fall in line. Good for the soul - adventure, travel, creation...anything that costs f**cking money! Of course these options are not mutually exclusive for everyone but then that's the goal isn't it? To do something which fulfills, nourishes AND pays you. That's the goal that gets me out of bed every day at least.

Indeed this goal has spurred me on to having a very productive week. I managed to land a temp job at some firm downtown, which should tide me over for the next month, that starts Monday. The interview was most humiliating, as they made me give an example of my "Telephone Voice". After resisting the urge to shout "But you're already talking to me on the phone, you stupid b**tch!", I gave her my most Regal rendition and the job was mine.

Today I had an audition for a film I really want to be in. It's not the next Godfather or anything but the crew were really nice and the material was astoundingly good. I fear I may have blown it though when they asked me to recite a story. I promptly replied with a lovely little anecdote about drug-fueled mayhem in Amsterdam and a little night at a place called "The Banana Bar". I'll leave the rest to your imagination (for anyone reading this who was there...you know the story) Almost as soon as it came out of my mouth, I felt the instant urge to retract it from the record, and said aloud "I can't believe I just told you that". Ahhh, my big mouth. What awkward situation will you get me into next? Still, it all went well and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I hear from them next weekend.

That's the weird thing about auditions really, you're trained to go in, do your best and forget about them, much like going to the toilet, but when you really want something there's always a long, desperate waiting period...like a dog sitting by the door for walkies that may never come.


Tomorrow however should provide a more instant response as I am audtioning for NBC's "Last Comic Standing". This being despite my deep hatred for reality panel shows (several people have convinced me to just give it a go, so I am), so we'll see how that goes.

All in all another....interesting working week in this mad town.

Peace,

JB.

No comments: