Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Other Side Of The Fence

This week was my first experience with casting. As in, actually renting out a studio and holding auditions with actresses for my upcoming short film. It was an extremely interesting experience from top to bottom.

First up, putting an ad on LA Casting. Now, anybody reading this who is, or intends to be, an aspiring actor in Los Angeles please take note of the following; if you are submitting yourself for a role, it is essential to add a note to your submission. Even if it's just a throw-away line like "this project sounds great, I'd love to be involved" it's worth it. For a project as miniscule as mine, relatively speaking of course, I had around 200 people submit for one part. Involuntarily, I found myself scanning through head-shots and the ones with "notes" attached immediately stood out.

Secondly, get yourself a reel. Even if it's shot in terrible light and with an iPhone (as I'm pretty sure some of them were), get something on there. I can't even begin to explain how much it helps to see someone in action. Also, the way LA Casting is structured, the people with a reel, or even an upload of one thing you were in, go immediately to the top of the page one. Jaaaaazz.

Finally, and this might seem obvious to some, make sure your headshot and resume are in good order. It's tough enough getting seen among 200 people and casting directors will be restricted by time, leaving me, for example, room for just 24 audition spots. So, the last thing you need is to eliminate yourself by just not having the correct formatting.

As for the auditions themselves, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself blown away on several occasions. Auditioning is an art-form in itself and to see people come in a hit it for six was an absolute pleasure. It's a curious thing though, with some people you can literally be left awe-struck by their acting but that one person comes in and reads and they just are the person you wrote. It's pretty much undeniable. I'm not entirely sure if this fact is comforting or utterly terrifying.

So fingers crossed we should be on the move again soon. Of course though, production has already been pushed back a month due to conflicting schedules, location problems, national holidays, crocodiles, angry rabbits....you name it. As I've already learned though very very quickly, when it comes to making films, nothing is easy. And I do mean nothing.

However, (insert motivational closing line here).

Peace and snuggles,

JB.

No comments: