Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Location, Location, Location

I tell you one thing that is a colossal pain in the arse when attempting to shoot a film on the cheap anywhere in the Los Angeles region, and that is finding suitable locations. You see, the problem with this city is that every Tom, Dick and Harry with a camera and half a brain (or not even that in my case) wants to shoot a film. Now far be it from the powers that be to let people just shoot whatever they please willy nilly, no no, this won't do...we must make some cash from these swine.

Thus filming anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, becomes a mire of bureaucracy. A city-sponsored permit is required to shoot anywhere in the city (technically speaking), and guess what? That costs money. A fairly significant amount too. Of course I don't want to do this so I have been researching like a fiend and found out that if you don't use any lighting rigs, or have dollies/tripods on display then they can't touch you for it. Marvelous! Take that LAPD.

Now, the problem is that we are going to be shooting at night-time for most of the exterior shots, however this problem can be solved by finding a well-lit area and using a faster lens that works in low-light situations. So, my DP and I have spent several occassions running around town, jumping out the car and shooting lighting tests. Most excellent results have been achieved so far. So, fingers crossed, we won't have to light anyone's manor. Even if we do, the worst that the po-po can do, apparently, is shut you down. A fate I've decided I'd be willing to accept.

Next was the task of finding a bar to shoot in (sort of integral to the story). Easy, I thought, people will be glad of the free advertising. My god was I wrong. Even the naffest little hole-in-wall sheetholes here in Koreatown wanted extortionate amounts of money for the privilege of shooting in their facility. One bar wanted eight grand! Eight. Thousand. Dollars. For four hours. Well sir, you'll forgive me for saying this, but f**k right off!

So began my long and arduous journey, calling every bar in town, going in to bars I frequent and trying to using my charms (of lack thereof) to score something, anything, for just a few hours. After many, many rejections I started to concede to the idea that we'd have to go in and shoot somewhere guerilla-style which is not the ideal situation at all, least of all for the actors, and without them in top form then the whole thing is a bit pointless. However, out of the blue I suddenly found the perfect spot in North Hollywood. I managed to talk a chap down to an acceptable amount of money and we now have the place secured. I tell you though, I look forward to the day when the budget is greater and it's someone else's job to do all this shite. It's certainly not easy.

The good news is that we're now pretty much all sorted, as far as locations go at least. Now comes the final stages of pre-production and shooting in a couple of weekends. That's when the fun begins. I can't bloody wait.

Peace.

John.

No comments: