Friday, April 29, 2011

Folk Off!

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am thoroughly enjoying the sort of folk 'movement' that seems to be happening in popular music at the moment.

Mumford & Sons et al @ The Railroad Revival Tour (from my iPhone baby)

Now, previously any music featuring use of a fiddle, or indeed a banjo, would have sent me sneering off to the nearest beer tent. However, there were plenty of both on display at last week's Railroad Revival Tour and, after the initial cringe and urge to vomit, I was pleasantly surprised at much I enjoyed the whole thing. In the age of digital revolution in which we now live, it was quite refreshing watching a group of scruffy looking wino's playing their hearts out. The only downside is the seeming importance of having a beard to fit into this scene - something that, after 30 years and many wispy goatee's, I have not come close to. Sigh.

The tour itself is rather fantastic aswell - the three bands (Old Crow Medicine Show, Edward Sharpe and Mumford & Sons) are touring the country on a vintage train and playing right next to the tracks. Marvelous. Sign me up immediately.

All in all it was a rollicking, rip-roaring, sheep shagging, whale of a time and, of course, Mumford & Sons were typically impressive. Even their new stuff just sounded incredible, the lucky, talented, younger-than-me, bastards! Sadly though they are beginning to reach such a level of success where, as Noel Gallagher once eloquently put it, "the dickheads start buying your records", and trust me friends there was no shortage of said dickheads on display in San Pedro. This is why it is essential to keep your ear to the ground and catch good bands on the way up - thus minimising crowd bellend-ness and preventing you from possibly committing murder.

Indeed one band I recently caught on the way up was The Head and The Heart.

The Head and The Heart @ The Troubadour LA

Not the greatest band name I've ever heard but my word did they play a good gig. So good infact that after the first night in San Diego, I decided to catch them again in LA...and was equally blown away. Again, the appeal of watching a group of earnest young chaps singing their socks off and being genuinely humbled by even having a crowd there to see them is a sight I will never get tired of. Because of the size of the Casbah in San Diego (as in, it's f**king small) we got to meet the band afterwards too. In these moments I typically black out and awake to find I've said something extremely stupid and/or embarrassing. This night was no different. I told the singer "You are gonna be huge mate. HUGE!". I know....what a twat.

Still I stand by my prediction, and if you don't believe me, check this video out. Quite the spine tingler I think you'll agree:



I'm off to learn the banjo and invest in some plaid.

Peace and love,

John x

No comments: