Saturday, March 12, 2011

Things I Love: Crips and Bloods - Made in America

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I am absolutely fascinated with street gangs - a cultural phenomenon here in the U.S. which is as inexplicable as it is dangerous - and where is the gang capital of the country? Good old Los Angeles. My current home.

After years of independent research, I would consider myself somewhat an authority on the subject. Sad as this may seem, I could probably name almost every gang in the city, their rituals and the turf they operate on. So, it pleased me no end to find this documentary "Crips and Bloods: Made in America", which is about the best film I've seen on the subject. Alternately you could watch "Colors" starring Sean Penn and Robert Duvall I suppose, but it is pure shite.

The film itself was produced by Baron Davis, an NBA star who came from the gang infested streets of South Central LA, and narrated by Forrest Whitaker...who gives it that certain grandad-by-the-fire-place quality that I personally love in a documentary. The film attempts to explain exactly when and why young black men started killing each other indiscriminatly in this relatively small part of the world. Of course there is no conclusive answer, however the questions it raises are very, very interesting (and, I have to say, quite disturbing).

Plus it features this man...one of the most captivating speakers I've heard in a long time:



In short, watch it. Now.

Also, if you're looking for a good read on the matter try "Monster: The Autobiography of an LA Gang Member" by Kody Scott. It is truly appalling.

And to think, all this goes on just a few miles from my house!

Peace,

JB.

No comments: