Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The King Of Limbs (Re-visited)

So, now that I've had the new Radiohead album for a couple of weeks I can now give a just review, although it's practically impossible to give an impartial point of view because frankly Thom Yorke could sing Happy Birthday and I'd cream myself.

About this album however, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think it's wonderful music and from the opening, off-kilter, scratches of "Bloom" I find myself instantly transported away to some distant, eerie land. Which personally I love about an album - at atmosphere full of subtle flavours. Once there, the following tracks grab and take hold, keeping me firmly stuck in this strange place. They all fit together perfectly. The weird, dub-step groove of "Feral", or the lavishly beautiful "Give Up The Ghost", or the brilliant single "Lotus Flower". Indeed the last track "Separator" is one my favourite Radiohead tracks of recent times. However, I'm never blown away and I can't help the nagging feeling that, after waiting four years, 8 tracks is a pretty pitiful return for such a richly talented bunch. Plus, I've heard several other songs (performed solo by Thom) which were brilliant and did not make the cut...also mildly annoying.

Rumours are already surfacing of a quick follow-up record (ala "Amnesiac to Kid A) and I certainly hope that's the case as I'm still hoping for this song to be released as it's surely too good to remain on the shelf:



All in all though a very solid, if short, record from a band seemingly enjoying making whatever they bloody well feel like and having a jolly good time doing it.

Once again chaps, bravo. However, give us more you swines!

JB.

No comments: