Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time Flies

I can't quite believe it's mid-November already. Madness.

Anyway, lately has been a busy time for me. After several auditions and callbacks last week, not to mention pulling silly shifts with the catering company I now work for, I attended the Valley Film Festival pre-party on Thursday night. These sorts of things are essentially "mixers" for film-makers who are showing something at the festival. Now usually, the thought of an industry party makes my stomach turn and this, initially at least, was no different. When we walked in, I immediately took on the appearance of a cave troll and skulked to the nearest dark corner. However, by the end of the night a great time was had. I met lots of interesting film-making types and hopefully something good will come from it.

Saturday was the screening of Lying Next To Larry. It was part of the 9-film comedy shorts section of the festival and was also a most enjoyable event. The only downside being my utter discomfort during the 8 minutes our film was showing. I can't seem to help hating watching myself on screen. Still we got some good laughs and several people approached me afterwards, which again hopefully will turn to something good.

Surprisingly, there were some outstanding shorts on display (films, not bermudas) including a film by Fabio Cannavaro, of all people, a Casablanca-style piece about Jesus being a card shark, which was excellent, and this film, my personal favourite. If you have a spare twenty minutes I highly recommend watching. A great example of what you can do with a good idea and strong direction:

In other news, I am still wading through the long list of agents to submit myself to. Hopefully I can be done by the end of the week and leave it in the ether for a while. Also, due to my job having events at various functions around town, my celeb-spotting meter has risen considerably in the last week. So far I have seen Alfred Molina (with whom I shared a shite joke), Jeff Dunham, the Mayor of LA (twat) and Michael Portillo (utter twat). Oh, and last night I had the absolute displeasure of crossing paths with the self proclaimed "King of Cars". What. A. Wanker.

I am also fast coming to the conclusion that I should probably invest in a camera to shoot more of my own stuff with. I think ultimately that is where my path lies and, much fun as it is whoring yourself around town at the bottom of the barrel, you get to act in stuff you actually want to do. An area to explore further, definitely.

Peace,

John.


No comments: