Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Actoring and Stuff

This weekend was one of the better ones I've had in my life. I spent it shooting "Speak Now" which is a film based on a play written by some bloke in Chicago. Anyway, I cannot begin to explain how much fun it is actually being part of a film set. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face all weekend. The highlight for me was when a group of little skateboard kids came to a grinding halt upon seeing us in action and practically yelled "Whoa! They're making a movie!". They then stood and watched for the next half an hour, open-mouthed and wide-eyed, bless 'em. Once they realised I wasn't anyone cool or interesting, they soon found better things to do, but it was nice while it lasted.

The entire time I was on set, whether rehearsing, picking the crew's collective brain for information, analysing camera techniques, filming, or just farting around playing jokes on people, all I kept thinking to myself was "Bloody hell, this is the best job in the world!" not that I was getting paid for this particular effort, but people do get paid...a lot of f**king money...to do this. That, my friends, is enough to keep me chugging along.

In other news, I have finally taken the plunge and got myself a Netflix account. Mixed feelings thus far. On the one hand, I can watch any film or TV programme I want, at any time I want, for 8 dollars a month. On the other hand, my productivity levels have plummeted since signing up. Always a double-edged sword isn't it? The best thing I've seen so far is Woody Allen's "Hannah and Her Sisters", which is utterly brilliant in every way. I think Woody has now pushed his way to number 1 on my list of people I would give my right ball to work with. Here is one of many great quotes from that film:

"You see the whole culture. Nazis, deodorant salesmen, wrestlers, beauty contests, a talk show. Can you imagine the level of a mind that watches wrestling? But the worst are the fundamentalist preachers. Third grade con men telling the poor suckers that watch them that they speak with Jesus, and to please send in money. Money, money, money! If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up".

(Frederick on watching TV)

Peace,

John.

No comments: