Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tunes, Footie and The Meaning of Life

So, it's been quite an eventful week on these here shores. We finished the first series of our comedy show, which is good but now the real work comes with the painstaking process of re-writes. Always fun though.

Had my first car crash, which was nice. Knocked the glasses clean off my face and gave a brother a bit of the old whiplash, but the old warhorse fights on. Hun shrapnel in my arse couldn't stop me, the Nazi's couldn't hold me back, a small Korean man rear-ending me (hello sailor!) won't keep this battleaxe from grinding on I tells ya!

Also, went to a couple of noteworthy concerts. The first being the rather lovely sounding Fleet Foxes.



I have to admit that under different circumstances I might not have enjoyed the show as much as I did. All of their songs somehow got slowed down to elevator music speed on stage, which took away from the whole thing a bit. However, two factors helped. One, The Greek Theater being one of the best venues I've been to - up in the hills of Griffith Park, enclosed among trees, shrouded in moonlight, it felt like we had wandered into some sort of hipster Ewok Village...which was better than it sounds. Two, the people directly in front of us were healthily puffing away on some super-strength jamaican sensimilla and, after about 30 clouds of smoke surrounded my face, I was soon high as a kite, grinning away like a prize idiot.

The second concert was the equally lovely sounding Bon Iver at The Spreckels Theatre in San Diego. Now, I've seen this band twice before and they absolutely blew my socks off. This time was a more electric sounding experience but it was no less amazing. The only (very minor) gripe I had was that Justin Vernon's lyrics are, for the most part, complete and utter nonsense. Especially the new album. In fact I defy you to make sense of one sentence on that album. It's actually pretty funny. However, that matters not when everything else sounds as luscious as it did that night. So all in all it was a cracking experience and wouldn't you know it, I found a video of the night already posted on youtube. Enjoy:



Also this week saw the start of the footie season...for Spurs at least. After getting royally spanked for our first two games, the yid army has turned it round and marches on. The only problem is that, after back to back wins, I now fully expect us to win the league, the champions league (despite not being in it) and the FA Cup with style and panache. Oh the joys of sporting delusion.

As for the meaning of life. Well, I was driving along earlier this week, in a foul mood, stuck in ungodly amounts of traffic, feeling generally pissed off about any and all. Then all of a sudden I thought of a Bill Hicks joke about Rick Astley not having a penis, and I laughed until I cried. Therein, friends, lies the meaning of life.

Peace and Love,

John.

No comments: