Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Quick As A Flash

Bloody hell, it's February already. Where does the time go? Well, I'll tell you shall I?
Mostly, it has gone towards watching "Lost" which was by far the best television show I have ever seen, up until the start of series 5. At which point I found myself dribbling, brain matter pouring out of my ear, and mumbling "what's...going on?". It's started to get back to it's genius best again but it's still very confusing. What a show though. Almost every episode just leaves you with a sucker punch to the gut, thus compelling you to continue watching, which, thanks to Netflix, I can do immediately. I imagine this is how Heroin addiction feels, but I may be trivialising it slightly.

Also, more good news came by way of going on some pretty big auditions and getting signed to a very reputable 'commercial' agent (adverts to the English folk of the world). Much as hawking someone's product like a prize bellend is against my entire life ethos, I've conceded that, at this point in my career at least, the earning potential is just too good to refuse. I also read for a comedy pilot, which was a sort of modern day Naked Gun. So, for a brief moment in time, I got to be Frank Drebben, which was by default a lifetime achievement. Speaking of that audition, I can't explain how satisfying it is going into a room where the director actually takes the time to try and get the best out of you, as opposed to feeling like you're wasting their valuable time and they can't wait to go home and w**k over portraits of themselves...or whatever it is they do. Just by having that dynamic, one where everyone in the room cares about getting a performance out of you, it allows you to relax and do your best work. Sadly this is often the exception rather than the rule.

I've also been working to get my film finished. My editor has pretty much spent all his time so far fixing things that I buggered up royally but we're getting there. Apparently in converting all my raw footage into Final Cut Express (not pro, which should have been used....lesson learned) I managed to down-convert all my lovely HD footage to some pikey, just-a-shade-above-camcorder quality. Whoops. See, this is why it pays to have professionals on board. Even just sitting with Tim when he does the business, it's almost like getting a free Film School education. I've been learning all sorts of technical info which I couldn't begin to start writing here but suffice to say it'll come in very handy with future projects. Instances where I feel like a clueless simpleton have also become commonplace.

Other than that, I've kept to a regular diet of work, food, drink, exercise (despite the arseholery of everyone at my gym) and watching films. Only Black Swan remains on my list of Oscar contenders that I haven't seen. I think I'm still pissed off at the Portman for getting knocked up by someone other than me. She'll come to her senses one day. Oh and, if you can tolerate the satanic bile coming out of Piers Morgan's facial orifice, I found a wonderful interview with Ricky Gervais after the hoo-ha about his Golden Globes hosting. Be warned though, Morgan is an almost intolerable swine.


Also, been listening to alot of Otis Redding lately for some reason. Legend. I would kill to have his voice:

Otis Redding - These Arms of Mine


Peace,

John.

No comments: