Wednesday, February 9, 2011

BOR-ING...

According to a BBC article I read this morning, the evolution of technology around us is causing our brains to begin functioning differently. A new ailment has surfaced called D.A.D. - Divided Attention Disorder to you and I.

In layman terms, this condition essentially means that due to the now ungodly amount of hours we, the human race, now spend online, our attention spans have become so miniscule that we can barely function in the real world. For example, while "browsing", we will often open another 'tab' while waiting for something to load. Or, while reading an article, if a reference is mentioned, another tab will be opened to seek out the meaning of said reference. And so on. The argument is that this thinking has spilled over into our 'non-online' life and I have to say it's quite true...I have fallen victim to D.A.D. myself.

For weeks now I have been trying to read Franz Kafka's "The Trial". It's not a long book. It's not written in Arabic. It's not boring by any means. In fact, the storyline and mood of the piece is right up my street. However, every time I sit down to read the bastard thing, my iPhone starts staring at me. "John" it whispers "You know you I can show you pictures of women's boobies, don't you? Or the starting line-up for Tottenham's 1991 F.A. Cup win? You should at least check your Facebook to see what's going on with your friends, shouldn't you? Whatever you need, I can find it for you." In a voice which I imagine to be similar to the snake in The Jungle Book.

Then I turn to my laptop..."John, you still haven't finished watching Lost. Don't you want to know who Jacob isssssss?"

Let's see...instant gratification vs. slow-burning literary masterpiece? Concentration vs. Mindless entertainment? Words vs. Boobies? No contest. The book becomes a tea coaster once more.

However, as a rebuttal to this new disease, I have decided to limit my online activity to one hour a day and I must, repeat must, finish this book before I go back to England (Feb. 15th). The road will not be easy, but with the right amount of Ritalin, Coffee and Willpower I think I can beat this ungodly monster.

I'll keep you posted with regular updates on Twitter.

Love,

Juan.

No comments: