Saturday, August 7, 2010

Heroes To Humanity: #68 - Jim Morrison

After getting extremely drunk on whiskey and beer last night, I have spent today immersed in things I'm interested in. Namely, The Doors. The perfect hangover band.

I began by watching "When You're Strange" which is a very interesting, somewhat surreal documentary about The Doors. While they have always been one of my all time favourite bands, I never really knew much about their story. Well, their story is really the story of one man...Jim Morrison. When the band formed in 1965, he was a quiet, shy military-raised kid who would turn his back on the audience from fear. By 1966, he was the swaggering, shirtless, rock-god we all know and love today. Watching him gyrate around the stage like a possessed shaman, howling out classics like "Break On Through" it became immediately apparent to me that they just do not make rock stars like this any more. All of the Justin Bieber's, Kesha's, and Miley Cyrus' of the world should hang their little corporate, vacant heads in shame.

R.I.P - Mr. Mojo Risin'

The Doors - "LA Woman"


No comments: