Monday, August 6, 2012

Olympic Fever

So, yesterday was the first day I actually managed to sit down, relax and catch up with what's been going on in the Olympics. First of all, Danny Boyle's opening ceremony was an absolutely magnificent achievement. A complete journey through my country's storied history (minus the colonizing and such) which was a pleasure to see come alive. I can't even begin to imagine how you go about pulling off something like that so I'll just say hat's off to everyone involved.

Tower Bridge: Majestic
The next feeling I had was the most severe pang of homesickness I think I've ever felt since being away. Knowing that the entire Olympic Village is 15 minutes away (by train) from where I grew up is almost too much to bear. Plus, in my humble opinion, there is no country in the world that gets into massive party atmosphere like England. I remember when we hosted Euro 96 and the country was just pure bliss for several weeks. From what I've heard, it's twice as good for the games. Lord knows our fair land needed a morale boost, and we seem to have got it in spades. Lovely.

Our collective mood has been of course helped by the astonishing amount of medals Team GB has won so far. Per Capita we are miles ahead of any other nation on earth - second only to China and the US (whose population is about 10 times ours) - and frankly, I found myself getting emotional (see: blubbing like a graze-knee'd child) watching my countrymen/women getting their medals. Not just my countrymen actually, pretty much anyone who won earned at least a tear from mine eye. I just find it so incredible that someone can dedicate their entire life to one purpose with such singularity, drive and desire and to see their achievements met is just beyond measure. They now get to call themselves Olympic Gold Medalists for the rest of their days. Quite a feat.

Speaking of which, massive congratulations to Andy Murray. Not only winning gold, but doing so on the same court, against the same opponent, where he took a public battering only a few weeks ago. He played out of his skin and earned every second of his glory. To you sir, I offer a slow, deliberate clap.

"Hang on, I know it....just give me second...it's on the tip of my tongue"
All in all, I have never wanted to be back home more than I did yesterday. Oh well, in the immortal words of the Dalai Lama "Judge your success by what you had to sacrifice to achieve it". Never a truer word spoken.

Peace, love and more medals.

JB.

No comments: