Tuesday, June 19, 2012

More Master

So, last night I stumbled upon the new trailer for my most highly anticipated film of 2012, Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master". The first one got me leaping and spinning like a cat to a yarn ball just out of reach. However, it basically just focused on a deranged-looking Joaquin Phoenix. This latest one features the mighty Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lancaster Dodd a "world war II veteran who starts his own religion in 1950's America". Sound familiar? If you're at all familiar with Scientology, then it should.

Because yes folks, despite all the denials coming from all associated with the film, it is clearly at least loosely based on that kooky bunch. As evidenced here by Hoffman declaring himself "a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist, a theoretical philosopher etc". Again, anyone familiar with the works of L. Ron Hubbard knows the parallels. Simply put, this film just gets weirder with every new bit of footage released and I, for one, could not be more intrigued...


Also, on the movie front, I had the pleasure of seeing not one but two of the best films I've seen in a while. The first was the George Clooney starring "The Descendants". Now, this film has certainly had it's detractors (my missus being one, declaring it..."shit") despite all of the award season acclaim,  so I went into it not expecting much. I thought it was amazing. Yes, it's a bit ponderous, yes they could have easily cut 15 minutes out and not missed a thing but it was by FAR my favourite Clooney performance and the film as a whole made me laugh, cry and contemplate my existence for several hours afterwards. Always a good thing.


Then I went and saw Wes Anderson's (no relation to Paul Thomas) new flick "Moonrise Kingdom". I generally like Wes Anderson films, but they always get bogged down in 'quirkiness' for me to consider any of them a favourite. Apart from "Bottle Rocket", which is the bollocks. "Moonrise Kingdom", on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise. It certainly had plenty of quirk, but the story (about two 12-year olds falling in love and running away) was a wonderful depiction of what it's like to be stupidly in love. Plus the cast was first-rate. Ed Norton playing a scout master? Brilliant. Also, Bill Murray was fecking hilarious. More so than usual in fact, which is quite a feat for him. What an absolute legend that man is. However, special mention must go to the two leads who were both brilliant, this being despite the fact that they were 12, and despite the fact I usually hate child actors (apart from the Culkin, obviously....and The Goonies....and that kid from There Will Be Blood...actually the only ones I hate are the twins from Harry Potter. So I take that back)

Hurrah!

JB.

No comments: