Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In The Cannes

'Scuse the pun. Mwa ha.

Sorry (Adam & Dan) for being away so long. I have been deeply mired in the post-production of my new short film. My god what an ordeal. Not an ordeal in the sense that I f**ked everything up like last time - thankfully it would appear that my lesson was learned and learned well in that respect - more an ordeal in which we had to get a great deal done in very little time in order to hit the deadline for competition entry into the mighty Cannes Film Festival.

My best "deeply concerned" face

In just one week, we went from having about two scenes cut to having an entire picture lock, an audio-mix, music and sound effects. All of which equals much stress for me and much distain from everyone in my circle. However, the quest was a noble one and was achieved at the latest possible hour. This being confirmed by an email I received from the festival itself, which I must say was very exciting. All that remains to be seen is whether the French Art-house crowd will respond to my own brand of aspirational toilet humour (they love the word "c**t" aswell, don't they?) or whether it'll be just another also-ran. At this point I could not give a hoot (...lie)

Mike looking astonishingly creepy. No effort required.

Of course, since submitting it I've already seen several things that need immediately changing so the finishing line, it would seem, is a far way off yet. Also, when deep in the forest, as I currently am with this project, an interesting thing begins to happen. You see, when I wrote the thing I thought to myself..."That's not bad you know. Could be rather good if done right". From there I began to assemble a crew and slowly started to think..."This might actually turn out to be the Citizen Kane of short films you know". The we filmed it and I thought "This is going miles better than I ever imagined, I am positively filled with the pure joy of creation. Mega-stardom awaits". Now, after weeks of editing I find myself thinking "Oh my god, this is the worst fucking film ever made by anyone. I should probably go and jump off a building for being such a talentless hack". An interesting personal journey which I'm assured all filmmakers go through, even the best ones, but feels rather a lonesome one when in the thick of it.

So, here's hoping I will soon be able to see the wood for the trees and we'll have a nice little film for everyone to laugh at and enjoy.

Until then, friends...Salute!

JB.

No comments: