Friday, January 7, 2011

Classic Albums - Nevermind

I remember it clear as day. I was 11 years old, sitting watching TV in my living room. Suddenly this long haired chap in a green stripy shirt surrounded by smoke and moshers in a disused basketball gym came on the screen, singing and smashing the shite out of everything. From that moment on, my life was changed. I am of course referring to my first viewing of the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. At the time, being the wide-eyed little innocent that I was (sort of) I had no idea that I was watching the defining moment of a generation, but whatever it was, I was sold.

Thus I immediately went out and bought "Nevermind". My friends and I would spend hours jumping around and singing and debating about what the f**k Kurt Cobain was on about.

This was 1991. Fast forward 20 years and I find myself still listening to this album, it still sounding as fresh as it did then, and still not knowing the sodding words! It's the first real record I bought (aside from novelty singles and Now compilations) and I believe it sparked the undying love for music I have today.

Every single track here is outstanding but my favourite is probably still "Lithium". I tells ya, they don't make them like this anymore.

No comments: