Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It was all a dream...

Busy week last week. Time for an update.

I have finally taken the plunge and decided to fulfill (in part at least) my boyhood fantasy of writing, directing and being in a film. Granted it will only be a short film, and not Star Wars 7, but it's a start. I had the first table read with the cast last week and it went amazingly well. It's quite a feeling to have people acting out dialogue that came directly from your demented skull, and doing far more with it than you ever imagined. Incredible. All going well, we should be shooting in a couple of weeks and I could not be more excited at the thought. However, one thing I have quickly realised is just how much planning, technicality and thought goes into the making of a film...even one that's 15 minutes long and largely just features people talking to each other. I can't even imagine creating something like "Lord of the Rings" or "Inception", Christopher Nolan's latest flash of genius. As I sat watching it, all I could think was "how the fook would you even attempt that?". I suppose that's why he is the man he is and I the man I am...sigh.

Staying on topic...if you haven't already, I highly recommend seeing "Inception". I honestly haven't had that satisfying an experience at the (non red-light) cinema since...well...The Dark Knight. The action is mind-blowingly good, the acting is top notch from an outstanding ensemble cast, and the story is deep and clever enough to make me question my very own existence...always a good thing. In short, see it. Now. Before I hunt you down and kneecap you. You slag!

The weather is another topic I must address. I have never been so hot as I have been the past few days. Especially being that I live in an apartment which has no Air Conditioning and gets the sun all up in it's grill (to quote one of my neighbours) from about 1.30 onwards. Cue many unsightly images of me writing at my workspace wearing nothing but my boxers and an icepack on my neck, dripping sweat. Another side effect of this heat is me getting migraines. Anyone who suffers them will understand the pain and misery they put you through, anyone whose never had one, in my experience at least, just thinks your being a pussy. Such is life I suppose.

Guilty Pleasure of the Week: Jackass Number Two. Sometimes, especially in the realms of aspiring comedy-types like myself, it's easy to get caught up in trying to employ intellect or social comment, or heartfelt romance into your work. Indeed at times I myself have fallen victim to thinking I'm above the more primitive pleasures in life. At the end of the day though, there's just something about watching a grown man chug a beer bong up his arse which just cuts me to the core. I haven't laughed that much in ages. Johnny Knoxville et al., god bless you.



Peace,

John.

No comments: